Till innehåll på sidan

Studying in Stockholm

Practical information about living and studying in Stockholm.

Residence Permit for Studies

Citizens of the EU/EEA do not need a residence permit to study in Sweden. However, citizens of countries not within the EU/EEA must apply for a residence permit to study in Sweden. As the application process can take several months, applicants are encouraged to apply early.

Residence permits are issued by the Migrationsverket (English: The Migration Board). Note that for Migrationsverket to issue a study related residence permit for non-EU/EEA applicants, they require confirmation that the student has sufficient funds to cover living costs.

Study Loans

Grants, scholarships and student loans for studies abroad may be available in your home country. Check with your school or university. For information about financial aid from the Swedish National Board of Student Aid, see their English webpage  CSN (English) .


Students are responsible to find accommodation before their arrival. For more information, please read the article "How to find housing in Stockholm"  written by Stockholm University.

Public Transportation

Public transport is well-functioning in Stockholm. Students can buy a Student Travelcard that gives a reduction on the cost of travel. With the Student Travelcard you may travel by trains, busses and boats throughout the larger part of central Stockholm. Please read more about public transportion at the website of Storstockholms Lokaltrafik AB (English: Stockholm Public Transport). 

Cost of Living

For information about cost of living, please read the article "Costs and funding" written by Stockholm University.

General information

For general information about studying in Sweden, see  www.studyinsweden.se . Also, you may discover the facts and stories of Sweden at www.sweden.se .